Sunday 21 November 2010

My first tentative sketches!

Welcome to my art blog! 
As part of my Art course at Hillsborough College, we have been asked to set up our own blog site, so here it is! 
I will be posting some of my art work both as a blog and as a slide show at the side of the main blog. 

I am trying to post in chronological order as far as possible, so it will be a little while before I get round to posting my latest works. I hope you enjoy looking at the site, & please feel free to add comments & to become a follower!

Here are some of my first sketches from my painting & drawing course at Bannerdale in 2009


Skull sketch


This skull was the first sketch we had to do, which I thought was a difficult task to set for absolute beginners.


The sketch on the right was a sketch from a picture of one of the Apostles in Graves Art Gallery.

This is a sketch of my daughter, trying to use as little outline to the face & hair as possible. The sketch below in a similar style is my husband - although I think I was kind with his youthful looks!

 
This is a copy of a sketch by Michelangelo, done in charcoal. This was the first time I had used charcoal and I was surprised how much I enjoyed it.. The following 2 pictures below are also in charcoal, whilst the last one is a copy of a Leonardo sketch in crayon.


Pen & Ink Sketches

This is a copy of a sketch of Rembrandt. I used pen & ink & my own sqiggle style which I really enjoyed using. I was surprised how easy it was to produce light & shade with squiggles. The only problem with this technique is that once you have made a mistake, it is difficult to correct it.

The following sketches include a random face, Van Gogh, & friends & family (which I gave away as Christmas presents).

I then went on to use a dip-in pen & ink and again, was surprised how easy it was to use. I copied a few masters as well as an illustration from my favourite childhood book - Milly Molly Mandy!












No comments:

Post a Comment